Harebrained Schemes is looking for a Senior Unity Tools Engineer to create and maintain specialized software applications that are designed to facilitate the work of designers and programmers. If you are a thoughtful collaborator with a deep understanding of, and appreciation for the type of force multiplication that good tools can bring, we encourage you to apply.
This is an on-site, full-time individual contributor role.
(Please note that we are currently working from home due to Covid-19. We will return to the office in stages when it is safe to do so. In the meantime, all interviews will be done virtually.)
What You’ll Do
- Work closely with the lead engineer, and various content creator groups to design and implement software tools that fit their needs.
- Create and maintain visual tools to assist with level creation for content design.
- Create and maintain custom Unity Editor enhancements to support designers, audio engineers, & environment artists.
- Strive to constantly improve the usability of game related tools
- Work with the design and engineering team to scope, architect, and document tools as they are developed
- Collaborate with the design and engineering teams to implement specific game or Editor features
- Debug existing features for bugs, and performance issues.
- Produce functional, maintainable code that meets performance requirements
- Engage in code review of existing and new code to improve code quality whenever possible.
- Assist with improving existing documentation as well as ensuring consistent documentation and adherence to coding standards in newly developed code.
- Collaborate with the Engineering, QA, and Production teams to maximize your contributions.
- Provide achievable task estimations based on your own ability.
What You’ll Bring
- You’ve worked on a variety of projects - big or small, indie or 1st party, PC or console or mobile, licensed or new IP, etc. - to understand the breadth of issues you have to anticipate and know that every project is different
- You have professional experience in the game industry.
- You have focused experience with tools development for a large team.
- You have experience with C# programming
- You have Unity experience
- You have proficiency with 3rd party tools and middleware solutions for design, art, animation, and audio.
- Excellent communication skills.
- You are comfortable working with others in a highly-collaborative, fun, and agile environment.
- You have a customer oriented development approach, required to support the design group through bugs and iteration
- A passion for improving the lives of others with your skills!
Nice to Haves
- Comfortable with other scripting/programming languages.
- Other full languages (C, C++, Java)
- Knowledge of multiple game asset formats and the scripting tools used to create them (maya, photoshop).
- Experience as an artist or designer, as a hobbyist or professional
Employment Eligibility Requirement
Must be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident and not require Visa sponsorship to be eligible.
What to Expect at HBS
All HBS employees
- Contribute respectfully with empathy, emotional intelligence and self-awareness
- Can work collaboratively in a team as well as on your own
- Are able to be self-directed in their work and learning
- Bring a growth mindset to the work they do
Working at HBS Means:
- Work-life balance: a work family that doesn’t replace your family-family
- Flexible workday hours and work-from-home opportunities
- Time off when you need it: a wellness-first and family-first mindset
- High transparency and easy access to studio leadership
- Generous medical, dental, vision, EAP, FSA, and both short & long-term disability
- Paid vacation time
- Paid sick time
- Paid holidays including the week between Christmas and New Years Day
- 401(k) program
- Annual profit-sharing from Paradox Interactive
- Easy access off I-405 and free parking
- Skilled, passionate, and fun co-workers
- Pet-friendly office
You should apply to work at HBS if you want to:
Make amazing game experiences with co-workers who are just as passionate about their craft as you are
Be part of a project small enough (20-35 members) for everyone to have a significant impact
Join a warm, inclusive and diverse team, with a respectful and collaborative culture
Evolve and learn with us in a growth-mindset environment