Harebrained Schemes is looking for an experienced and versatile Senior Environment Artist to join the environment art team on an unannounced project. You’ll collaborate with the Art Director and HBS team to establish and guide the visual quality of the environments for the project.
If you are a thoughtful collaborator, with a deep understanding of—and appreciation for—player experiences across a variety of game genres and audiences, we’d love to talk with you.
This is an on-site, full-time individual contributor role.
(Please note that we are currently working from home due to Covid-19. We will return to the office in stages when it is safe to do so. In the meantime, all interviews will be done virtually.)
What You’ll Do
- Play a critical role in creating the look and feel of the game by creating materials, terrain, set pieces and lighting.
- Work with the environment art team to help set standards and practices for the construction of game assets.
- Collaborate with other teams like Concept Art, Design and the Art Director to develop the environment direction and visual quality for the project.
- Provide clear feedback on tools and pipelines
- Mentor and grow the HBS environment art team.
- Promote and reinforce a healthy culture within the environment art department.
- Work with level designers to provide clear environment goals to the environment art team
What You’ll Bring
- You’ve worked on a variety of projects - big or small, indie or 1st party, PC or console or mobile, licensed or new IP, etc. - so you understand the breadth of issues you have to anticipate and know that every project is different
- Extensive knowledge of modern content creation pipelines and workflows.
- Experience working in Unity.
- Experience creating materials and shaders.
- Experience in Maya, Max or Blender.
- Experience in Substance Designer/Painter.
- Mastery in generating normal maps from high poly models.
- Mastery in low and hi-poly modeling for video games.
- Strong foundational art skills, including composition, color, and lighting, and great visual research and reference skills.
- Understand memory and frame-rate budgets and work within those constraints.
- Ability to take on large scale tasks
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- A general passion and curiosity for games and game development.
- A solution oriented approach to problem solving powered by initiative and exploration.
- Adept at both giving and receiving constructive feedback in a very collaborative and iterative environment.
- Ability to perform well under pressure and deliver work in a timely manner.
Nice to Haves
- Can tell a story using the environment.
- Traditional fine art skills.
- Understanding of natural terrain formation and sculpting.
- Experience with the LOD and visual composition considerations of authoring environments for a strategy game.
- Good technical knowledge and the ability to quickly master new pipelines and tools.
Employment Eligibility Requirement
Must be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident and not require Visa sponsorship to be
What to Expect at HBS
All HBS employees
- Contribute respectfully with empathy, emotional intelligence and self-awareness
- Can work collaboratively in a team as well as independently
- Are able to be self-directed in their work and learning
- Bring a growth mindset to the work they do
Working at HBS Means:
- Work-life balance: a work family that doesn’t replace your family-family
- Flexible workday hours and work-from-home opportunities
- Time off when you need it: a wellness-first and family-first mindset
- High transparency and easy access to studio leadership
- Generous medical, dental, vision, EAP, FSA, and both short & long-term disability
- Paid vacation time
- Paid sick time
- Paid holidays including the week between Christmas and New Years Day
- Matching 401(k) program
- Annual profit-sharing from Paradox Interactive
- Easy access off I-405 and free parking
- Skilled, passionate, and fun co-workers
- Pet-friendly office
You should apply to work at HBS if you want to:
Make amazing game experiences with co-workers who are just as passionate about their craft as you are
Be part of a project small enough (30-45 members) for everyone to have a significant impact
Join a warm, inclusive and diverse team, with a respectful and collaborative culture
Evolve and learn with us in a growth-mindset environment