Harebrained Schemes is looking for an engineer to bring their next title to modern game consoles. You’ll work with the project engineering team and the core tech group to support the development of console specific features, and help ensure a high quality release.
If you are a thoughtful collaborator, with an understanding of—and appreciation for—the complexities of parallel PC/console development, we’d love to talk with you.
This is an on-site, full-time individual contributor role.
(Please note that we are currently working from home due to Covid-19. We will return to the office in stages when it is safe to do so. In the meantime, all interviews will be done virtually.)
What You’ll Do
- Act as an internal contact for issues regarding a specific publishers’ console (Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo)
- Help set up and manage products on publishers’ development portals
- Identify console specific issues and work to reduce technical debt on that platform
- Have awareness of common platform requirements and implement solutions to them as needed (telemetry and services)
- Work with the lead engineer to design and implement console specific features
- Work with the engineering and QA teams to identify and eliminate console specific performance bottlenecks
- Serve as a generalist Unity engineer when console development lulls
- Engage in code review of existing and new code to improve code quality across the entire product
- Assist with improving existing documentation as well as ensuring consistent documentation and adherence to coding standards in newly developed code.
- Collaborate with the engineering, QA, and production teams to maximize your contributions.
- Provide realistic task estimations based on your own ability.
What You’ll Bring
- You’ve worked on a variety of projects - big or small, indie or 1st party, PC or console or mobile, licensed or new IP, etc. - to understand the breadth of issues you have to anticipate and know that every project is different
- You have specific experience with at least one of the modern console platforms
- You have worked as a professional game programmer with at least two shipped titles.
- You have professional Unity development experience.
- You are an excellent C# programmer.
- You are comfortable working in a large existing code-base with excellent code comprehension and a willingness to refactor as needed.
- You have good communication skills and are comfortable working in a highly-collaborative environment.
Nice to Haves
- Experience with Unity on at least one modern console platform
- Deep experience navigating Technical Requirements for at least one modern console
- Experience optimizing games for at least one modern console platform. Knowledge of rendering abilities on that platform is an additional bonus!
- Experience writing code natively on at least one modern console platform.
- You are passionate about turn based tactical games!
- Must be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident and not require Visa sponsorship to be eligible.
What to Expect at HBS
All HBS employees
- Contribute respectfully with empathy, emotional intelligence and self-awareness
- Can work collaboratively in a team as well as independently
- Are able to be self-directed in their work and learning
- Bring a growth mindset to the work they do
Working at HBS Means:
- Work-life balance: a work family that doesn’t replace your family-family
- Flexible workday hours and work-from-home opportunities
- Time off when you need it: a wellness-first and family-first mindset
- High transparency and easy access to studio leadership
- Generous medical, dental, vision, EAP, FSA, and both short & long-term disability
- Paid vacation time
- Paid sick time
- Paid holidays including the week between Christmas and New Years Day
- Matching 401(k) program
- Annual profit-sharing from Paradox Interactive
- Easy access off I-405 and free parking
- Skilled, passionate, and fun co-workers
- Pet-friendly office
You should apply to work at HBS if you want to:
Make amazing game experiences with co-workers who are just as passionate about their craft as you are
Be part of a project small enough (30-45 members) for everyone to have a significant impact
Join a warm, inclusive and diverse team, with a respectful and collaborative culture
Evolve and learn with us in a growth-mindset environment