Harebrained Schemes is looking for an executive-level video game industry leader with a deep understanding of management and operations. The HBS Studio Operations Manager is thoughtful, collaborative, and has a passion for maintaining a healthy, innovative, and smoothly-running studio allowing our project teams to do their best, most creative work.
This is an on-site, full-time executive management role.
(Please note that we are currently working from home due to Covid-19. We will return to the office in stages when it is safe to do so. In the meantime, all interviews will be done virtually.)
- VP of Finance
- Sr. IT Manager
- Sr. People and Engagement Manager
- Sr. Office Manager
What You’ll Do
- Direct all administrative and operational activities for the studio under the guidance of the studio’s CEO.
- Take point on ensuring that critical issues are resolved as they arise, collaborating with the studio leadership.
- Set agendas and lead regular meetings of the Executive team.
- Ensure strong communication across the studio including smooth flow of information between project teams and departments, between management and the studio, and between individuals and upper management.
- Organize regular studio-wide meetings and proactively coordinate their agendas with the studio leadership.
- Facilitate change management, both proactive and reactive, to meet business and production needs.
- Lead efforts to continuously improve integration with our parent company, Paradox Interactive, while prioritizing the preservation of HBS’s culture and care of its people.
- Find opportunities to increase efficiency and improve studio profitability.
- Use feedback, metrics, and retrospectives to improve the studio and develop future initiatives.
- Collaborate with the VP of Finance to manage the studio-operations budget.
- Oversee employee recruitment, onboarding, training, and development in collaboration with the Sr. People and Engagement Manager and studio leadership
- Champion our studio values of trust, respect, collaboration, diversity and inclusion.
- Lead the development of studio policies that reflect our values and promote our studio culture without over-indexing on process.
- Consciously evolve our culture when needed, while maintaining the core of what makes us HBS.
- Foster an environment where experimentation and iteration are encouraged, and where team members feel like it's safe to fail or be wrong.
- Act as an advisor to the Studio CEO.
What You’ll Bring
- Game industry experience at the senior leadership level
- Deep experience with the publisher-developer relationship
- Comprehensive knowledge of video game development
- Pragmatic, goal-oriented, collaborative approach to team leadership
- Experience managing 70+ person teams
- Experience scaling game studios to meet market needs
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- High emotional intelligence
- Natural problem solver
Nice to Haves
- Management of Human Resources teams
- Project management
- Development studio/publishing leadership within a larger corporate environment
Employment Eligibility Requirement
Must be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident and not require Visa sponsorship to be eligible.
What to Expect at HBS
All HBS employees
- Contribute respectfully with empathy, emotional intelligence and self-awareness
- Can work collaboratively in a team as well as on your own
- Are able to be self-directed in their work and learning
- Bring a growth mindset to the work they do
Working at HBS Means:
- Work-life balance: a work family that doesn’t replace your family-family
- Flexible workday hours and work-from-home opportunities
- Time off when you need it: a wellness-first and family-first mindset
- High transparency and easy access to studio leadership
- Generous medical, dental, vision, EAP, FSA, and both short & long-term disability
- Paid vacation time
- Paid sick time
- Paid holidays including the week between Christmas and New Years Day
- 401(k) program
- Annual profit-sharing from Paradox Interactive
- Easy access off I-405 and free parking
- Skilled, passionate, and fun co-workers
- Pet-friendly office
You should apply to work at HBS if you want to:
Make amazing game experiences with co-workers who are just as passionate about their craft as you are
Be part of a project small enough (20-45 members) for everyone to have a significant impact
Join a warm, inclusive and diverse team, with a respectful and collaborative culture
Evolve and learn with us in a growth-mindset environment