Harebrained Schemes is looking for a passionate, experienced QA lead to spearhead the testing efforts on an unannounced project. In this role you'll work closely with project leads, drive testing, build a QA team, and advocate for player experience while also contributing to studio test culture.
If you are a thoughtful collaborator, with a deep understanding of—and appreciation for—player experiences across a variety of game genres and audiences, we’d love to talk with you.
This is an on-site, full-time role.
(Please note that we are currently working from home due to Covid-19. We will return to the office in stages when it is safe to do so. In the meantime, all interviews will be done virtually.)
What You’ll Do
- Coordinate testing efforts for a turn-based tactical game for PC and consoles.
- Creatively advocating for world class customer experiences while working with the reality of limited resources.
- Build, manage, and help mentor a team of up to two individual internal technicians.
- Manage the efforts of multiple external test partners including functional QA, localization QA, certification testing, and our parent company PC hardware config lab.
- Work with the studio QA team to improve the studio test infracture and adapt it to the needs of the game.
- Ensure test plans, test cases, test execution, and test reports are delivered in a timely manner.
- Write test plans for several major feature areas. This includes collaborating with the design, engineering, art, and production teams to understand the feature specs, even if design documents are not complete.
- Own testing for several major feature areas on a game. Examples could include performance, combat mechanics, game campaign, development tools, DLC, console certification, etc.
- Own test cases for areas of ownership. Ensure that our external test partners have all information necessary to get robust tests written at the appropriate time.
- Ensure the Test Team’s work is prioritized appropriately, even when the Test Team gets pulled in multiple directions at once.
- Learn how to use any tools needed to ensure areas of ownership are tested successfully. Examples include Unity, custom tools, game debugging tools, etc.
- Communicate successfully with external and internal partners as needed.
What You’ll Bring
- You’ve shipped a modern Unity title as a Test Lead.
- You have shipped PC and console game titles.
- You have experience as a Software Test Engineer or in Games QA with test ownership of several major feature areas.
- You have managed at least one permanent, full time employee or at least 5 contract QA technicians for at least a year.
- You have experience writing test cases for multiple titles.
- You have managed external 3rd party test teams.
- You have experience successfully managing tasks in environments with tight deadlines.
- You have good communication skills and are comfortable working in a highly-collaborative environment.
- New perspectives and views to the team with a bias toward mentoring, teaching, and learning.
Nice to Haves
- You are passionate about turn-based tactical games.
- Familiarity with automation.
- A good understanding of PC hardware.
Employment Eligibility Requirement
Must be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident and not require Visa sponsorship to be eligible.
What to Expect at HBS
All HBS employees
- Contribute respectfully with empathy, emotional intelligence and self-awareness
- Can work collaboratively in a team as well as on your own
- Are able to be self-directed in their work and learning
- Bring a growth mindset to the work they do
Working at HBS Means:
- Work-life balance: a work family that doesn’t replace your family-family
- Flexible workday hours and work-from-home opportunities
- Time off when you need it: a wellness-first and family-first mindset
- High transparency and easy access to studio leadership
- Generous medical, dental, vision, EAP, FSA, and both short & long-term disability
- Paid vacation time
- Paid sick time
- Paid holidays including the week between Christmas and New Years Day
- 401(k) program
- Annual profit-sharing from Paradox Interactive
- Easy access off I-405 and free parking
- Skilled, passionate, and fun co-workers
- Pet-friendly office
You should apply to work at HBS if you want to:
- Make amazing game experiences with co-workers who are just as passionate about their craft as you are
- Be part of a project small enough (20-35 members) for everyone to have a significant impact
- Join a warm, inclusive and diverse team, with a respectful and collaborative culture
- Evolve and learn with us in a growth-mindset environment