Harebrained Schemes is looking for a Unity Gameplay Engineer to design, develop and test software code for products and games under development at HBS.
If you are a thoughtful collaborator, with a deep understanding of—and appreciation for—player experiences across a variety of game genres and audiences, we’d love to talk with you.
This is an on-site, full-time individual contributor role.
(Please note that we are currently working from home due to Covid-19. We will return to the office in stages when it is safe to do so. In the meantime, all interviews will be done virtually.)
What You’ll Do
- Work closely with a Designer to help build a player experience focused approach to engineering problems
- Write runtime C# Unity scripts for game features
- Write runtime C# scripts to drive UI/UX interactions and help maintain Prefabs
- Keep up to date on Unity features and technology
- Collaborate with the design and engineering teams to implement specific game features
- Produce functional, maintainable code that meets performance requirements
- Engage in code review of existing and new code to improve code quality whenever possible.
- Assist with improving existing documentation as well as ensuring consistent documentation and adherence to coding standards in newly developed code.
- Collaborate with the Engineering, QA, and Production teams to maximize your contributions.
- Provide achievable task estimations based on your own ability.
What You’ll Bring
- You’ve worked on a variety of projects - big or small, indie or 1st party, PC or console or mobile, licensed or new IP, etc. - to understand the breadth of issues you have to anticipate and know that every project is different
- You have professional Unity development experience.
- You are proficient in C#
- You care about game design and keep up on modern gameplay design trends
- You’re comfortable working in a large existing code-base with excellent code comprehension and a willingness to refactor as needed.
- You have good communication skills
Additional Qualifications (Nice to Have)
- You’ve shipped a modern Unity title
- You have a broad knowledge of game technologies and tools.
- Design experience on a shipping game is a bonus!
Employment Eligibility Requirement
Must be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident and not require Visa sponsorship to be eligible.
What to Expect at HBS
All HBS employees
- Contribute respectfully with empathy, emotional intelligence and self-awareness
- Can work collaboratively in a team as well as on your own
- Are able to be self-directed in their work and learning
- Bring a growth mindset to the work they do
Working at HBS Means:
- Work-life balance: a work family that doesn’t replace your family-family
- Flexible workday hours and work-from-home opportunities
- Time off when you need it: a wellness-first and family-first mindset
- High transparency and easy access to studio leadership
- Generous medical, dental, vision, EAP, FSA, and both short & long-term disability
- Paid vacation time
- Paid sick time
- Paid holidays including the week between Christmas and New Years Day
- 401(k) program
- Annual profit-sharing from Paradox Interactive
- Easy access off I-405 and free parking
- Skilled, passionate, and fun co-workers
You should apply to work at HBS if you want to:
- Make amazing game experiences with co-workers who are just as passionate about their craft as you are
- Be part of a project small enough (45-50 members) for everyone to have a significant impact
- Join a warm, inclusive and diverse team, with a respectful and collaborative culture
- Evolve and learn with us in a growth-mindset environment