The HBS CoreTech team is looking for a mid-level DevOps Engineer to help maintain the layer between IT and developers, while sometimes getting their hands dirty with code. You will keep our “pipeline” systems like Jenkins, GitLab, our NuGet server, etc running and customized as needed and sometimes write needed scripts (mostly Python 3) or even tools code.
C# and Unity knowledge is a big plus.
Previous professional gamedev experience is also a plus, but not required.
This is a full-time individual contributor role. (Please note that we are currently working from home due to Covid-19. We will return to the office in a hybrid capacity when it is safe to do so. In the meantime, all interviews will be done virtually.)
Responsibilities (Job Tasks at Work)
- Choose, setup, and maintain appropriate pipeline software for the studio both on-prem and in the cloud.
- Write tools in Python or C#, often in a Unity environment.
- Write scripts in Bash or Batch
- Maintain and support existing tools.
- Continual documentation of your work.
- Keep up to date on relevant technology and security.
- Constantly reassess existing solutions for areas to improve (especially proactively).
- Monitor systems for failures and respond/resolve in a timely manner. (During business hours.)
- Solid systems design. Knowing how to step back and have the right conversations to make sure you’re building the right process or tool, especially considering how it relates to our existing infrastructure.
- Solid software / systems architecture. Knowing how to step back and have the right conversations to make sure you’re building in an extensible and maintainable way.
- Sharing your knowledge! We work on some crazy stuff on CoreTech- sometimes stuff that might not even be possible. That means we learn a lot that’s worth sharing. Spreading that knowledge through lunch & learns, documentation, and engineering chats is part of our culture.
- Engage in code review of existing and new code to improve our team’s code quality.
- Provide achievable task estimations based on your own ability.
Shared Services Responsibilities
- Help develop and deploy the development and distribution pipelines that keep all HBS products flowing.
- Communicate with multiple active development game projects to ensure their individual needs are met.
- Evaluate and promote existing project code into shared tools / libraries.
- Be an advocate for proper usage of your code / libraries / processes.
What You’ll Bring
- You’ve worked on a variety of library / tool / service-oriented projects, where you’re meeting a specific need for another team or customer.
- You have specific experience in DevOps technologies such as Jenkins, GitLab, Git, Git Hooks, NuGet, PyPI, AWS, Azure, Zabbix, Grafana, etc.
- You’re proficient in C# and/or Python or similar languages.
- You’re familiar with both Windows and Linux environments.
- You understand container technology and have used Docker before (bonus if you’ve used Docker-Compose, Kubernetes, or Azure Container Instances).
- You’re comfortable working in an existing devops infrastructure and a willingness to further develop / maintain / refactor as needed.
- You have a working understanding of how games are made.
- You have good communication skills
- Unity experience is a big plus
Nice to Haves
- Professional game development experience.
Employment Eligibility Requirement
Must be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident and not require Visa sponsorship to be eligible.
What to Expect at HBS
All HBS employees
- Contribute respectfully with empathy, emotional intelligence and self-awareness
- Can work collaboratively in a team as well as independently
- Are able to be self-directed in their work and learning
- Bring a growth mindset to the work they do
Working at HBS Means
- Work-life balance: a work family that doesn’t replace your family-family
- Flexible workday hours and work-from-home opportunities
- Time off when you need it: a wellness-first and family-first mindset
- High transparency and easy access to studio leadership
- Generous medical, dental, vision, EAP, FSA, and both short & long-term disability
- Paid vacation time
- Paid sick time
- Paid holidays including the week between Christmas and New Years Day
- Matching 401(k) program
- Annual profit-sharing from Paradox Interactive
- Easy access off I-405 and free parking
- Skilled, passionate, and fun co-workers
- Pet-friendly office
You should apply to work at HBS if you want to
- Make amazing game experiences with co-workers who are just as passionate about their craft as you are
- Be part of a project where everyone can have significant impact
- Join a warm, inclusive and diverse team, with a respectful and collaborative culture
- Evolve and learn with us in a growth-mindset environment